Company: City of Norfolk, Virginia
Posted on: September 19, 2022
Codes Specialist Print
Apply Codes Specialist Salary $38,690.00 - $63,065.00
AnnuallyLocation Norfolk, VAJob TypePermanent
- Questions DescriptionOversees inspection of existing
residential, commercial and industrial structures. Ensures code
enforcement, investigates and resolves violations, provides
technical knowledge and information, supervises personnel, and
provides public information. Department Hiring Salary: $40,379.85
- Enforces Virginia Maintenance Code and City Ordinances.
- Conducts daily inspections that require frequent walking,
standing, kneeling and time outside inspecting properties,
regardless of weather conditions.
- Inspects properties by means of complaint, survey, or 360
- Issues Uniform Notice of Violations and Notices of Violations
under the Virginia Maintenance Code.
- Performs individual case review to meet performance
- Maintains administrative records with documentation associated
with each case in case management software.
- Issues summons and prepares cases for legal action and
testifies in court when applicable.
- Identifies potential properties for USBC Demolition and/or
Derelict Structure Designation.
- Prepares weekly administrative packages for nuisance abatement
contracts.Education/ExperienceWork requires knowledge necessary to
understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level
of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or
- One year experience and general knowledge in at least one of
the following areas: plumbing, electrical or mechanical trades; or
fire protection, elevator or property maintenance work.Additional
Information & Requirements
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Must become a certified Property Maintenance Inspector in
accordance with Virginia Certification Standards (VCS).
- Must obtain Special Police Commission within 18 months from
date of employment.Signing Bonus: This position is eligible for a
one-time $5,000 signing bonus for new hires. The signing bonus will
be paid in two (2) increments: $2,500 upon completion of 60 days of
employment, and $2,500 upon completion of your probationary period.
To receive the signing bonus, you must be an active employee in
good standing.Work Schedule: 7 :30 am - 4:00 pm or as scheduledWork
Location: 500 E. Main Street, Suite 900, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Regular full-time and permanent part-time employees may receive
paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, employer paid pension plan,
basic life insurance, voluntary participation in medical and
dental, Section 457 deferred compensation, long-term disability,
optional life insurance for self, spouse and children, medical and
dependent care reimbursement plans, access to membership in credit
union and employer provided parking.
- Special project/grant employees are generally eligible for the
same benefits of regular full-time employees; however, retirement,
life insurance and participation in health plans vary depending
upon funding and authorization.
- Temporary/seasonal and part-time employees are generally only
eligible for employer provided parking and access to membership in
- Retirement If you are hired October 5, 2010, or after to a
position with City of Norfolk Retirement System benefits, you will
be required to contribute five percent (5%) of your salary toward
your retirement benefit. This will be a pre-tax payroll deduction.
If you are hired January 1, 2022, or after to a position with
Virginia Retirement System (VRS) benefits, you will be required to
contribute five percent (5%) of your salary toward your retirement
benefit. This will be a pre-tax payroll deduction.
- The Tuition Assistance Program is established to encourage
employees toward continued self-development and education.
Permanent full-time and permanent part-time classified,
unclassified permanent, full-time special projects, and
constitutional employees who have completed six months continuous
service will be eligible to apply. The applicants school of
enrollment must be an accredited institution. NOTE:The benefits
described above are broad generalizations. The specific benefits
that an employee may be eligible for are governed by City
regulations, as applicable to job type. Non-City Positions listed
with a job type designation of "Non-City" are not subject to the
benefits descriptions above. Refer to the content of the job
posting for information regarding these positions. 01 The following
Supplemental Questions are specific to the position for which you
have applied to assist the hiring manager in screening applications
for specific experience being sought. Please be specific in
answering these questions as they will be used to evaluate which
applications will be given further consideration in the process. Do
not answer "see resume" or "see application" as these are not valid
answers. Please note that if you are invited to be interviewed by
the department, your responses to the following questions may be
subject to verification.
- I understand and will answer the following supplemental
questions completely and thoroughly.02 If you were referred for
this position by a current City of Norfolk employee, please provide
the employee's full name, department, and job title. If not, please
indicate by typing "N/A." 03 Do you have a valid driver's
- No04 Please select the highest level of education you have
- Less than High School Diploma/GED
- High School Diploma/GED
- Some College (6 months or more)
- Vocational/Technical Degree
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree or higher05 Do you have at least one (1) year
of experience or general knowledge in one of the following areas:
building construction, building, fire or housing inspections,
plumbing, electrical or mechanical trades, fire protection,
elevator, property maintenance or zoning work?
- No06 Please describe your experience in building, building
construction, fire or housing inspections, plumbing, electrical or
mechanical trade, fire protection, elevator, property maintenance
or zoning inspections. 07 This position requires significant
interaction with the public, please detail any experience you have
in public service, community service and/or public speaking. 08
Please list any certification/licenses you possess, that you
believe would be relevant to a code specialist position. 09 Please
describe any education, training, or experience where you acquired
knowledge of the International Residential Code, Virginia
Maintenance Code, or local ordinances. 10 This position requires
knowledge of the Virginia Maintenance Code (VMC) and City
Ordinances to perform inspections. Briefly describe your
experience, if any, and training that has provided you with this
knowledge. 11 A conviction (felony or misdemeanor) does not
necessarily eliminate you from employment consideration. A criminal
background check is conducted on all new hires. Failure to disclose
all criminal convictions may result in disqualification from
employment consideration or may result in dismissal from City of
Norfolk employment if you have been hired. The nature of the
offense; the time that has passed since the offense, conduct and/or
completion of the sentence; and the nature of the job sought may be
taken into consideration. Have you ever been convicted of a felony
or a misdemeanor?
- I have been convicted of a felony
- I have been convicted of a misdemeanor
- I have been convicted of a felony and a misdemeanor
- I have not been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor12 If you
answered, that you have been convicted of a felony and/or a
misdemeanor, please provide an explanation including the city,
state and date of the conviction. This excludes minor traffic
violations such as speeding tickets. 13 The hiring salary for this
position is $40,379.85. Does this align with your
- No14 Please provide an explanation of any periods of
unemployment that are 30 days or longer. Indicate N/A if you have
not experienced any periods of unemployment. 15 Are you a current
or previous City of Norfolk employee?
- Yes - I am a current City of Norfolk Employee
- Yes - I am a previous City of Norfolk Employee
- No - I am not a previous or current City of Norfolk employee16
Please indicate your veteran status. (A copy of your long form
DD-214 may be required)
- I am not a Veteran
- I am a Veteran
- I am a Disabled VeteranRequired Question AgencyCity of
NorfolkApply Please verify your email address Verify Email
Keywords: City of Norfolk, Virginia, Norfolk , Codes Specialist, Professions , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!