601 Patient Educator
Company: Virginia Eye Consultants
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Job Title: Patient Educator
Reports To: Clinic Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Patient Educator assists in the interface between
potential/current patients interested in cataract surgery and the
medical, technical and administrative staff of the practice. The
Patient Educator provides face-to-face screening, balanced
education and counseling to prospective patients regarding the
benefits of intraocular lens options, including elective options
with advanced-technology lenses (ATIOLs). In addition, the educator
discusses cost and payment options for these elective services. The
educator implements all facets of relationship management systems
including data entry of marketing and outcome data.
Demonstrates quality patient service during interactions with
patients, coworkers, and vendors:
* Exhibits a positive attitude and is flexible in accepting work
assignments and priorities
* Meets attendance and tardiness expectations
* Is dependable; follows policies and procedures
* Maintains professionalism in interactions with patients and
* Performs quality work and consistently exhibits initiative
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Acts as a point of contact for IOL patient inquiry,
education/counseling, as well as initial information gathering.
This includes: Helping patients evaluate their vision goals
post-cataract surgery, providing information regarding eye anatomy
and the cataract surgical procedure, educating patients on each
lens option for their situation, and explaining the benefits of
* Assists physicians with daily patient flow and act as a liaison
between the patient and physician, coordinating with practice staff
to ensure seamless patient transfers.
* Maintains a thorough understanding of payment options and
provides explanation of these options with prospective
* Facilitates communications within EMR, email, or other web-based
systems including follow-up phone calls and correspondence required
to maintain patient relationships with the practice, promptly and
in a patient friendly, customer service orientated manner.
* Compiles and generates patient data using tracking tools and/or
* Contributes to practice development through collaboration with
administration for patient incentive letters, marketing for
promotions, and gathering patient testimonials for practice
materials and social media.
* Engages with representatives from manufacturing companies of IOLs
(ie. Alcon, B&L, AMO, etc.) to remain current on marketing
practices/promotions and patient education tools.
* Sends practice, product and/or treatment, and financing
information via email or regular mail to non-closed leads (letter
and brochure). Makes follow up phone inquiries and record progress
using tracking tools and/or spreadsheets.
* Conducts Doctor-to-Doctor calls and Doctor-to-Patient calls via
phone, email, or EMR.
* Monitors and updates the supply of educational materials for
cataract surgery and IOLs throughout the reception areas for the
* Maintains excellent communication/professional relationship with
referring doctors and staff.
* Other duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS To perform the job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility
satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The
requirements below are representative of the minimum knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential duties and responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
* Bachelors Degree preferred
* Proven excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and
computer experience, including Word and Excel.
* Previous experience in at least two (2) of the following areas
* Customer service
* Medical/Healthcare and/or Ophthalmology/Optometry
* Patient Advocacy/Education
* Additional qualifications to include:
* Excellent verbal/written communication skills to communicate
effectively with patients, physicians, and practice staff
* Strong interpersonal skills and friendly demeanor to engage
patient and help them feel at ease
* Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to
* Proactive work ethic with a self-starter mindset to ensure
adequate preparation prior to patient counseling
* Demonstrated maturity that allows him/her to relate to the
needs/frustrations of the cataract patient and maintain a high
degree of professionalism
* Strong telephone and computer skills (ie. Word, Excel)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Indicate the amount of time spent for each activity required as it
relates to the essential functions.
% of Time
% of Time
Vision color vision
Vision depth perception
Vision peripheral vision
Vision ability to adjust focus
Fine Motor Skills
Use of Hands
Other (please describe)
Location: Work takes place in a normal office environment. Travel
to other CVP locations may be necessary to fulfill essential duties
and responsibilities of the job. Thus, those needing to travel for
work must have access to dependable transportation, and driving
record must meet company liability carrier standards.
Exposure: Works in normal office environment during normal business
hours. May be exposed to blood or bodily fluids. May also be
exposed to various cleaning supplies.
Equipment: The equipment typically used in this position is a
computer, fax, copier, printer, scanner and telephone. Must have
good working knowledge of Word, Excel and Access. Other equipment
may be used as needed. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) follows
standard precautions using personal protective equipment.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to
understanding the current scope of the job and the general nature
and level of work performed by current job holder(s) within this
job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list
of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or
working conditions associated with the position. CVP reserves the
right to change the expectations of the job and assign or reassign
duties and responsibilities at any time.
Keywords: Virginia Eye Consultants, Norfolk , 601 Patient Educator, Other , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!