Communications Network Engineer Senior - AST
Company: Leidos Holdings Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
More About the Role:
Leidos currently has an opening on the 'Service Management,
Integration and Transport (SMIT) Contract for a Communications
Network Engineer Advanced Services Team (AST) position. This is an
exciting opportunity to use your experience and leadership skills
to successfully execute the mission of the Navy's largest IT
services program: SMIT. Under the SMIT Contract, the Leidos team
will deliver the core backbone of the Navy-Marine Corps Intranet,
including cybersecurity services, network operations, network
engineering, service desk, and data transport. Ultimately, Leidos
will support the Navy in unifying its shore-based networks and data
management to improve capability and service while also saving
significant dollars by focusing efforts under one enterprise
network. This position requires Engineering, Operations Support,
Management and extensive knowledge of network communications,
architecture, security controls, and compliance and configuration
What You'll Get to Do:
- Provide Networking Subject Matter Expertise (SME) and thought
leadership for the largest Intranet in the world. A qualified
candidate for this position would be responsible for network
design, integration, test, security, and implementation of Network
Services for the as-fielded NMCI network.
- Provides extensive SME knowledge of network engineering and
operations knowledge, integration, test and evaluation activities,
as well as implementation and transition to Network
- Collaborates with Network Domain Architects to define and/or
oAudits and Reviews STIG compliant configuration baselines,
versioning, and compliance tracking.
oTest and Validate Automation and best practice insertion
oLead development of SOPs/TTPs.
oContinuous Service Improvements (CSI).
oSystem performance tuning and enhancements.
oCreate and maintain Engineering Implementation Plans (EIP).
- Develops network bandwidth needs and recommend measures to meet
- Extensive knowledge of defense-in-depth principles, Network and
Security architecture, network topology, IT device integrity, and
common security elements.
- Plans and executes network upgrades and maintenance activities
with the NMCI Operations Manager, NOC Lead, Release Management team
and other key stakeholders.
- Tier III escalation support and vendor engagement supporting
Incident Management activities.
- Active participation in Root Cause Analysis for Problem
You'll Bring These Qualifications:
- Requires BS degree and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience
or Masters with 6-10 years of prior relevant experience.
- Currently possess an active Secret clearance and ability to
attain a Top Secret.
- Minimum of DoD 8570.01 IAT Level III Certification required
prior to onboarding: CISSP or CASP (See DoD 8570.01-M Appendix 3
for valid certifications).
- Effective written and oral communication and problem solving
- An Associate level Network Vendor Certification is required
prior to onboarding (from one of the following Vendors): Cisco,
Juniper, CommScope/Ruckus/Brocade, F5 Networks or Aruba
- Willingness to work or be called in to work during off-hours to
meet customer mission support requirements.
- IA Subject Matter Expert for operations providing tier-III
support to the NOC watch staff.
- Participate in engineering meetings to bridge the gap between
operations and engineering providing operational readiness for new
solutions projected to be deployed into production.
- Perform highly technical maintenance involving firewalls, VPNs,
IPS, and load balancers.
- Participate in technical development of watch staff.
- Perform IA related GDA changes.
- 8+ years' experience engineering and troubleshooting networks,
including extensive routing and switching experience such as MPLS,
VPNs, routing protocols i.e. BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, switching protocols
i.e. Spanning Tree Protocol, VLANs, LLDP, VoIP, Multicast protocols
and emerging network technologies.
- Strong understanding and in-depth knowledge of IP
- Experienced and adept at developing and maintaining technical
documents, analyses, and reports.
- Experience presenting to senior customer management, customer
stakeholders, and company management.
- Familiarity with the ITIL framework.
- Ability to travel up to 25% including OCONUS potential
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
- Previous work experience providing support to the NGEN-NMCI
program is highly desired.
- Experience with Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager (CPPM) identity
- Advanced/Professional level vendor certifications (Cisco,
Juniper, Aruba, Palo Alto).
- Demonstrated NET/SEC DevOps experience.
- IAT Level III Certification (i.e. CISSP or equivalent).
- ITIL v3/v4 certification/training.
- Agile certifications or applicable experience.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500 information technology, engineering, and
science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's
toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland
security, civil, and health markets. The company's 39,000 employees
support vital missions for government and commercial customers.
Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues
of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January
1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's
why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of
the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include
competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income
Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information
at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will
communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a
Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be
from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other
personal information, please report the email to [email
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national
origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability,
medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family
structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or
military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will
also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal
histories consistent with relevant laws.
Keywords: Leidos Holdings Inc., Norfolk , Communications Network Engineer Senior - AST, Other , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!