Family Service Worker
Company: City of Norfolk
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Norfolk's Division of Social Services is seeking a Full Time
Family Services Worker I.
Conducts home studies to assess family needs. Investigates reports
of abuse and neglect of children, the elderly and the disabled and
intervenes when necessary. Provides case management for clients in
Foster Care and Adoption, Family Preservation, Adult Services, and
Prevention Services. Develops and implements service plans to
address family and individual needs. Maintains records and reports
consistent with local, state and federal policies. Essential
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Investigates referrals of suspected child abuse/neglect.
- Conducts field visits to schools, homes, hospitals and various
- Works in collaboration with law enforcement, licensing and a
variety of community partners to investigate/assess child
- Determines clients needs based on interviews and plans
appropriate course of action.
- Advises and arranges protection for clients faced with
emotional, physical and environmental stress.
- Refers high and very high risk families with a history of
sexual abuse, chronic abuse/neglect, domestic violence for case
- Must have the ability to provide leadership and assist
subordinates as part of a multi-disciplinary team believing that
the best solutions come from the families themselves.
- Takes part in family team meetings to facilitate and assure
family empowerment, family involvement and ownership in the service
planning process working through to solutions.
- Counsels clients to advise them of services available.
- Formulates a variety of court documents,
- Appears in court to advise, recommend and testify concerning
- Requires knowledge of social work principals and ethics with
particular attention to respect and appreciation for family
- Must have good writing skills.
- Maintains case files and prepares reports as required including
OASIS and other local software programs.
- Requires the ability to work collaboratively with
community-based agencies, police department and health care
providers and court personnel so that the team works as one in the
best interest of the familys needs and wants.
- Provides crisis intervention when necessary.
- Requires the ability to climb stairs, bend, push, pull and lift
up to 35 lbs.
- Requires a valid drivers license.
- Requires strong facilitation skills.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a Human Services field or
minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any field and minimum of two
years of appropriate and related experience in a Human Services
area (Section 22VAC40-670-20 of the Administrative Code of
Virginia). Possession of a BSW or MSW degree and a Commonwealth of
Virginia Social Worker license are desirable.
No experience required.
Additional Information & Requirements
- Valid Driver's License may be required depending on
- Successful completion of State mandated training within the
first 24 months of employment.
Keywords: City of Norfolk, Norfolk , Family Service Worker, Other , norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!