Public Information Specialist II
Company: City of Norfolk, VA
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Department of Utilities is seeking an innovative and results
oriented professional to manage media relations as a Public
Information Specialist II. This person will plan, direct and
maintain effective promotional programs, promote city services
through written and verbal communications and educate the community
on department related issues.
Essential functions Include but are not limited to:
- Manages media relations by writing press releases and public
service announcements, contacting the media and arranging
interviews, responding to media inquiries by obtaining information
from the department and serving on committees.
- Plans, directs and maintains effective promotional programs by
developing campaigns to highlight programs and services, developing
effective strategies for communicating with the public, planning
and staging events and presentations, developing marketing
materials and designing and creating visual displays.
- Produces content for social media, website and other
- Performs administrative duties by researching and writing
reports and replies to citizens, reviewing and preparing
statistical information for presentations and monitoring and
recording proceedings at meetings.
- Performs related duties by acting as the bureau's or
department's photographer and preparing and researching
- Performs educational duties in schools and community.
- Writes, edits, designs, and coordinates printing of
newsletters, fact sheets, brochures, advertisements, articles, and
other educational materials and correspondence in accordance with
the department's media relations requirements.
- Works with the Information Technology Department in
establishing and maintaining department databases and websites
containing information on community events and activities;
supervises and trains individuals in proper techniques used to
enter, maintain, and update website information. Assists the public
in accessing community information from the website.
- Develops and manages a public outreach program to enhance the
public's understanding of water protection and promote behaviors
that reduce potential problems with wastewater and sanitary
- Develops and implement public relations and public involvement
processes to increase awareness and advocacy of projects and
resolve potential issues through communications with residents,
businesses and commuters.
- Develops communications methods to enhance customer service,
public understanding of the Department and foster cooperation and
support to and from the local community.
- Produces a Water Quality Report annually for distribution to
all Norfolk residents and businesses.
- Maintains an internal communications program to provide timely
and accurate information to Department employees.
- Maintains the Department's internet website with current and
- Plans, coordinates and participates in special events for the
Department to encourage internal team-building and organizational
development, publicly celebrate project milestones and participate
in civil and community observances.
- Performs related work as required.
Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or
technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years
of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Requires
professional & technical writing training depending on
A bachelor's degree in Communications or Public Relations is
Three years experience.
Additional Information & Requirements
Valid Driver's License
Work Hours: Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Work Location: 401 Monticello Avenue, 2nd Floor, Norfolk,
Keywords: City of Norfolk, VA, Norfolk , Public Information Specialist II, Other , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!