Manager Human Resources - Employee Relations
Company: City of Norfolk, VA
Posted on: May 3, 2021
- This position is Unclassified and serves at the will of the
Norfolk, Virginia is America's most authentic and urban
waterfront city. Home to the world's largest naval station and the
business, arts, and cultural center of Coastal Virginia, Norfolk
has been rated a top place to live, work, play, and raise a family
by numerous publications.
In support of over 225,000 residents, regional neighbors, and
visitors from all over the world, the City of Norfolk employs over
five thousand hard-working, agile, and accountable individuals who
each play a vital role in making Norfolk the unique and authentic
city of the future that its citizens deserve and demand.
Diverse. Agile. Accountable. Norfolk's Human Resources (HR) Team
is seeking a dynamic HR Manager (Employee Relations) with a passion
for public administration and considerable experience leading HR
professionals. In collaboration with the City's leadership team,
Human Resources' Management team and City departments, the HR
Manager (Employee Relations) performs complex professional work in
the development, strategic direction, and execution of policy,
performance management and employee relations strategies that
support the City's strategic plan and accomplishment of aligned
projects, goals and operational objectives.
The Employee Relations HR Manager provides leadership and
direction to a team of Human Resources Analysts in the development
and implementation of enhancements to personnel policies, division
programs and work products; provides day-to-day guidance on the
administration of the corrective action policy progressive
discipline, grievance management, citywide performance evaluations;
interprets policies and procedures for all levels of management
(coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions);
briefs managers on new HR processes/initiatives; and assists in the
implementation of changes. The Employee Relations Managers must
have in-depth knowledge and stay current in legal requirements
related to day-to-day management of employees; to ensure
accountability and compliance with all current and applicable
local, state and federal laws related to Human Resources; and all
other applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Employee Relations
- Serve as the subject-matter expert on Human Resources trends,
legislation, policy and programs.
- Collaborate with senior executives to design, develop,
implement, and evaluate new and existing human resource policies
- Provide consulting support to multiple business partners to
proactively and creatively resolve complex Human Resources
- Utilize project management and change management skills to
identify and implement enhancements to policies, processes, and
programs to ensure consistency with City, State and Federal laws
and regulations and application of best practices to enhance
efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lead cross-organizational change initiatives throughout the
city to improve services and meet the needs of City
- Oversee the division budget and manage procurement processes to
secure Human Resources consultant support, including drafting
statements of work/requests for bid, evaluating proposals,
selecting a contractor, and managing projects.
- Perform other duties as required.
Work requires specialized knowledge in a professional or
technical field. Work requires professional level of knowledge of a
discipline equivalent to that which is acquired in a Bachelor's
degree-level of study or equivalent.
Five (5) years of experience in specialty area such as human
resources employee relations.
Preferred applicant will possess:
- Three (3) years of experience in a Human Resources Management
- Experience with direct reports
- Considerable experience managing policy-driven projects from
conception through implementation.
- Experience with conflict resolution
- Knowledge of employment laws
- Project management expertise, including experience working with
stakeholders at a variety of levels to implement change.
- Experience working with PeopleSoft
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP (or PHR/SPHR) or equivalent certification
Additional Information & Requirements
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the
information provided within this application. Your responses to the
supplemental questions will be reviewed and verified with the
information you provide in the body of your application.
- To check the status of your application, refer to your
GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including
periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing "See resume" with no
other information is considered an incomplete application and will
not be considered.
Keywords: City of Norfolk, VA, Norfolk , Manager Human Resources - Employee Relations, Other , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!