Company: Hampton Roads Transit
Posted on: April 8, 2021
The successful candidate will have a wide range of data and
Business Intelligence skills to develop and maintain the Hampton
Roads Transit Agency Reports Library and Enterprise Data Warehouse.
They will be able to execute the full Business Intelligence
Development life cycle and will work closely with the Director of
Enterprise Technology Solutions to create an Enterprise Business
Intelligence Data Warehouse for HRT. Duties will include, but are
not limited to, requirement gathering, documentation, analysis,
design, ETL development, dimensional modelling, report, and
dashboard creation. The successful candidate will work closely and
collaborate with business stakeholders, business leaders, and
subject matter experts, to understand and document the current
business processes and key Agency metrics. The incumbent will work
with IT staff to acquire the data, create the necessary SQL Server
database structures (tables, views, stored procedures and
functions), develop the ETL packages, dimensionally model the data,
and build the necessary reports and dashboards for Enterprise
Agency consumption via canned reports and self-service business
intelligence. Tools currently used, but not limited to include,
SSIS (including custom C# script tasks), SQL Server Management
Studio, Tableau Online, and Tableau Public, SSRS, Excel, Web APIs,
Access Databases, and Power BI. The successful candidate will be
part of an agile software development team and will be responsible
for taking deliverables through all phases of the Software
Development Life Cycle and change management process. This position
also manages the BI and Data Warehouse report data repositories,
software and Servers, and supports deployment to cloud-based and
enterprise environments. Essential Job Functions: (Duties listed
are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might
reasonably be assigned.)
- Strong database understanding and data programming skills.
- Excellent TSQL database coding skills to include stored
procedures, functions, tables, views, triggers and synonym
- Executes full Business Intelligence life cycle including
requirements gathering, documentation, analysis, design, ETL
development, dimensional modelling, report, and dashboard
- Ability to listen to user requirements and convey messages in a
clear, concise manner.
- Design and develop new reports and reporting solutions from
requirements and from an understanding of organizational business
needs in Tableau Desktop, and SSRS.
- Use SQL Server SSIS and SQL Management Studio to extract data
from source, transform data as necessary, and create all database
objects needed to store the data.
- Strong SSIS skills to include understanding of control flow and
data flow tasks, with package auditing of data as it moves through
the data pipeline. Ability to program some custom C# Scripting
tasks for complex assignments.
- Strong knowledge of all SQL Server database tasks including
jobs, data backups and redundancy, database maintenance (indexing
and statistics), to serve as the SQL Server backup DBA as
- Work closely with the SQL Server DBA on data warehouse object
creation, query performance tuning, and reporting in Tableau and
- Work closely with business owners to develop and present
reports and dashboard data in a manner and stylistic flare that
matches the intended audience.
- Manage Tableau users, permissions and groups, folders and
reporting library using the Tableau Online management interface,
and Tableau bridge client.
- Work with the DBA to configure SSRS and Tableau configuration
- Manage SSRS report manager including report deployment, folders
- Work closely with the Web Development team to import data from
custom web applications forms into the BI environment for agency
- Deploy reports, dashboards and stories using Tableau Online,
Tableau Public, and SSRS.
- Work within the agile framework and follow the best practices
of the software development life cycle.
- Assist in development of project definitions, including
proposals, estimates, planning, schedules and documentation.
- Promote the use of self-service products.
- Provide support to the development of training materials and
training activities related to the BI tools and applications.
- Strong ability to learn new skills as needed to complete
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the
Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT's
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in
accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard
Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Perform all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner to
protect one's self, fellow employees, and the public from injury or
- Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and
policies. Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job
- Experience developing automated reports and dashboards using
Tableau Online, Tableau Public, SSRS, and Power BI.
- 8+ years in database development experience in a BI and data
warehouse environment using the full Microsoft Development stack,
and Tableau reporting tools.
- Ability to analyze data databases and transform it to meet
reporting requirements in relational and dimensional form.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage multiple tasks during
normal agile sprint environment.
- Excellent customer service skills required to relate to a large
range of business users and gather requirements to present data in
formats relative to the audience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in extracting data from and analysing
data in relational database systems - specifically SQL Server,
Oracle RDBMS, MySQL, flat files, and API calls.
- Experience with Datamodelling both relational and dimensional,
ETL development, and TSQL database programming skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of
management and within the business administrative, maintenance,
functional and technical communities.
- Ability to multi-task, troubleshoot and solve problems quickly
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasking to deploy
useful solutions to the production environment. Required Software
Knowledge and Skills Essential to Job Functions: Proficiency in
using computer systems and the listed software applications
associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Strong
problem-solving skills associated with software applications used
is expected. Software applications:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017
- Visual Studio SQL Server Data Tools (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS as
- SQL Management Studio
- Desktop 10.5 and 2019.3
- Tableau Online
- Tableau Public
- Tableau Management Tool and Bridge Client
- Microsoft Office
- Access Database
- Power BI helpful, but not required Training and/or Education:
Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology,
computer programming, analytics, or business. Background in
databases and data reporting. Required Experience: Minimum of 8+
years' data base development including database object creation and
report development experience with 3-5 years Tableau-specific
experience with strong understanding of database structures,
theories, principles, and practices. Licenses or Certificates: This
position is classified as essential personnel. Special
Requirements: Virginia Driver's License FLSA Status: Exempt
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions. Unusual Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a
timely basis. Duties may require some overtime. The nature of the
job may require providing assistance to Enterprise Application
users (primarily by phone, but occasionally in person) in the
evenings and on weekends.
Keywords: Hampton Roads Transit, Norfolk , BI Developer, IT / Software / Systems , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!