Company: New Virginia Majority (NVM)
Posted on: January 26, 2023
POSITION TYPE:Full-time; on siteLOCATION:(one of three
locations) Ability to work on site in one of our Virginia offices
(northern Virginia, Richmond, or Norfolk)) if/when COVID-19
conditions permit* with in-person availability needed in Richmond
during the state General Assembly sessionDESCRIPTION:New Virginia
Majority seeks a full-time Policy Director to join its senior
leadership team. The Policy Director will be responsible for the
execution of strategies designed to advance NVM's public policy
goals, with a significant focus on civil rights, economic justice,
health equity, housing and tenant protections, environmental
justice, criminal legal reform, and immigrants' rights, all through
a racial equity lens. The Policy Director will supervise and work
with a policy team, including policy analysts, to advance the
public policy goals. This position requires a self-motivated
individual with a combination of education and/or professional
experience involving the legislative process and advocacy, and
- Work with the senior leadership team and policy team to develop
public policy agendas and strategies for advancing those
- Oversee the preparation of research and related deliverables by
- Present the policy positions and opinions of the organization
to the public, government officials, and other organizations.
- Devise strategies with relevant staff to engage New Virginia
Majority's grassroots network and allied organizations to influence
policy and budget outcomes, providing staff, members and
stakeholders with training and technical assistance, talking points
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with key
local, state, and national elected officials to advance public
- Remain informed about local, state, and national policy
developments that are connected with New Virginia Majority's
priorities and mission.
- Coordinate with policy analysts to develop annual short and
long-term departmental goals.
- Work with the senior leadership team in setting strategic
direction for New Virginia Majority.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong understanding of social justice framework with a
commitment to social justice and racial equity.
- Excellent communication skills in person, in writing, and by
telephone and by email, demonstrating professionalism, courtesy,
and respect to a variety of audiences.
- Completes assignments in a timely manner, and appropriately
evaluates own progress toward completion of work goals.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team (including
with remote staff) as well as in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong supervisory skills to lead a team to meet shared
- Excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines and
work under pressure.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and information when
- Working knowledge of Virginia's legislative, legal, and
regulatory processes and landscape preferred.
- Bilingual English and Spanish proficiency highly
preferred.COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:Annual salary $85,000-95,000
commensurate with experience, and comes with an excellent benefits
package.NVM covers 100% of the individual cost and 75% of the
family cost for medical, dental, life, and short-term disability
insurance for full time employees. Additional benefits include
family and medical leave, retirement program with employer match,
accruable paid vacation and sick leave, and monthly transportation
and cell phone allowances.HOW TO APPLY:Please go to to submit a
cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references.
Please include the position name and preferred location.Incomplete
applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of
applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose
candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls please.WHAT ELSE YOU
SHOULD KNOW:New Virginia Majority (NVM), Virginia's leading civic
engagement organization, builds power in working-class communities
of color across the Commonwealth. We organize around issues of
racial, economic, and environmental justice year-round through mass
political education, intensive leadership development,
mobilization, and mass voter outreach. We fight for a Virginia that
is just, democratic and environmentally sustainable. We are an
equal opportunity employer.*We are currently hybrid two days/week.
COVID 19 Vaccination proof is required unless a medical or
religious accommodation is granted.
Keywords: New Virginia Majority (NVM), Norfolk , Policy Director, Executive , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!