Structural Lead Mechanic Supervisor - Down River
Company: Colonna's Shipyard, Inc
Posted on: March 17, 2019
Job DescriptionColonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates within our Down River Division.We are pleased to accept resumes for Lead Mechanic Supervisor - Structural (welding/fitting)This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
- Train lower level mechanics and semi-skilled employees.
- Ensure that all work done on the vessel and in-house is completed on time, on budget, and to the contract quality standards.
- Keep track of budgets and spending for their assigned jobs.
- Provide ample notice of manpower needs and changes to the Resource Manager.
- Manpower scheduling and maintenance to include controlling overtime hours.
- Report and initiate discipline for safety infractions in accordance with company policy.
- Assist in determining project physical progress and project cost projections
- Identify and document any potential growth work, not only growth that is needed to complete the job assigned, but also in areas of the ship where there is no agreed work currently.
- Required to work overtime as the work dictates.
- Must be able to supervise a multi-craft team to fully execute projects
- Must be available to travel as projects are worked at various locations throughout the U.S as well as outside of the country.
- Read and comprehend blueprints, sketches and templates.
- Accomplish laying out from blueprints, sketches, and templates.
- Effective sequencing of removal, assembly, fitting, and welding.
- Shop and field fabrication.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.
- Proficiency in the use of tools and equipment such as; come alongs, chain falls, hydraulic jacks, wedges, dogs, saws, grinder and other tools pertaining to structural trades.
- Advanced experience with the use of cutting torch and welding equipment.
- Tack weld with SMAW and FCAW certifications.
- Working with Stainless steel and Aluminum (fitting and welding).
- Installing simple systems without templates or blueprints.
- Template creation.
- Erection and installation of structural members, inserts, frames, bulkheads, doors, ladders, foundations and deck plates on board vessels.
- Advanced knowledge fabricating and installing brackets, angle stiffeners, alignment, collars, liners, doublers, distortion prevention/correction, targeting, scribing, edge preparations, rate holes, scallops, welding root and cap passes, back gauge (air art), tack welding and torch cutting.
- Understand corrosion prevention and grounding.
- Determine and apply joint and system tolerances.
- Some minor rigging ability and the use of overhead cranes.
- Adherence to industry codes, regulations and specifications to include ABS, USCG, and NAVSEA Standard Items.
- Minimum of ten years shipboard within the trade to be supervised (welding or ship fitting with knowledge of the other trade to accomplish the duties of the supervisor)
- Technical training preferred
- Expert knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the trades
- Must be able to work effectively with others and as a team with other supervisors within the shop
- Must be a steady, reliable worker Must be self-motivated and able to complete responsibilities with minimal direction
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc.
- Use of measuring instruments
- Knowledge of ship board terms
- Must be able to obtain a DBIDS due to working at various locations.Position compensation is based on experience. Our benefits include: • Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance• 401K, company match• Paid Time Off (PTO)• Legal Services• Annual performance evaluations • On-site Human Resources• On-site gym• Free and close proximity parking• Employee perks/gifts and moreAll resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration. Colonna’s Shipyard and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
- FamilyThese are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.
Keywords: Colonna's Shipyard, Inc, Norfolk , Structural Lead Mechanic Supervisor - Down River, Engineering , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!