Sr. Network Engineer
Company: Hampton Roads Transit
Posted on: November 17, 2021
The Sr. Network Engineer is at the forefront of deploying and
supporting new technologies at HRT.-- In support of the strategic
initiatives and following the established project plan under the
direction of the Director of Technology Services, implement and
support the network fabric interconnecting HRT locations of all
sizes, its cloud IaaS and SaaS services, and its transit vehicles.
While acting as a top-level support tier, provide problem
resolution services for all escalated issues.-- Essential Job
Functions: (Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor
to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)--
- Takes part in all phases of the network system lifecycle
including requirements gathering, hardware design, configuration,
testing, commissioning, cutover, integration, documentation, and
- Manages all aspects of the structured cabling within HRT
- Configures and deploys networking hardware, including switches,
routers, firewalls, wireless access points, rugged industrial
networking components, etc. across all HRT locations and revenue
- Manages HRT private and public IP address space, maintains
consolidated IP utilization records.
- Designs and implements logical network layout, including VLANs
and subnets, establishes necessary inter-VLAN routing, manages NAT
and PAT at the HRT public network boundaries.
- Establishes Site to Site and end-user VPN connectivity
- Designs and implements multipath connectivity solutions in
support of HRT fault tolerance needs.
- Establishes and maintains connectivity between on-prem systems
and HRT---s cloud services (Azure) using VPN and ExpressRoute
- Configures and deployed network security devices, conducts
performance tuning as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains network segmentation through
deployment of the Next Generation Firewalls as the network core at
all physical and cloud locations; leverages traffic source and
destination information, application identity, user identity, and
threat profile to build an access control ruleset on a per-system
- Implements Network Access Control mechanism for wired and
wireless domain. --
- Monitors network throughput and conducts network utilization
assessments; develops and implements traffic prioritization
solutions for the mission-critical and latency sensitive
- Develops and executes network infrastructure Preventative
- Implements software and firmware updates in accordance with the
manufacturer guidelines for the networking equipment, its
management applications and monitoring tools.
- Develops and deploys network equipment configuration baselines
based on the industry best practices and cyber security
- Establishes and maintains cyber security posture for entrusted
systems through application of sound cybersecurity engineering
principles such as implementation of access control, utilization of
least privilege principles, central authentication mechanism
deployment, as well as following vendor recommendations.
- Monitors internal system operations, troubleshoots and repairs
- Takes a leading role in the Incident Response activities
including identification, stabilization, resolution, documentation,
and closure as per established guidelines.
- Assures State of Good Repair compliance.
- Provides support for safety-sensitive Supervisory Control and
Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Performs after-hours ---on call--- duties as per established
policies and rotation schedule.
- Develops and maintains System Design Documentation, Tailored
Procedure Documents, other supporting documentation.
- Provides support for the specialized Transit line-of-business
- Monitor various system logs for problems or unusual
- Follows principles of Project Management, Change Management,
and Configuration Management.
- Remains a cyber security practitioner at all times.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the
Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT---s
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in
accordance to HRT---s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard
Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Performs all job duties and responsibilities in a safe manner
to protect one---s self, fellow employees, and the public from
injury or harm.
- Promote safety awareness and follow safety procedures and
- Performs other duties as required by the Director of Technology
Services. Job Requirements:Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
essential to Job Functions: In depth knowledge of the structured
cabling standards and best practices for copper and fiberoptic
connectivity for indoor and outdoor applications.-- Ability to
install, configure, and maintain network equipment, including
switching (Cisco & Dell), routing (OSPF & BGP), wireless (Wi-Fi and
cellular based); and rugged industrial grade hardware (Moxa, Digi,
CradlePoint).-- Extensive network security knowledge, Palo Alto
firewall administration, TrendMicro Intrusion Prevention System
management. In depth knowledge of Windows networking in
relationship to Active Directory environments, including DNS, DHCP,
RADIUS. Networking implementation in support of the virtualization
technologies based on Hyper-V and VMware. IP-based Storage Area
Network fabric administration. Large scale and distributed UPS
system administration and support. Knowledge of the network
performance monitoring tools (SolarWinds) and technologies
(NetFlow), as well as network mapping tools (NetBrain).-- Ability
to conduct network traffic analysis with industry standard tools
(Wireshark).-- Knowledge of the IaaS cloud connectivity
technologies such as VPNs and dedicated circuits (ExpressRoute).
Apply critical thinking to quickly identify problems and implement
solutions with minimal downtime. Utilize software and hardware
diagnostic tools to identify, diagnose, and repair complex problems
affecting system availability and performance. Using logic and
wholistic analysis, identify the strengths and weaknesses of
different approaches.-- Be able to qualify decisions with solid
reasoning and justification. Ability to multitask and perform a
multitude of administrative and engineering tasks at one time
unsupervised.-- Effectively collaborate in a team environment or
work independently as needed. Provide mentorship to others and
perform knowledge transfer as required.---- Maintain awareness of
advances in information technology and developments in cyber
security realms.-- Ability to communicate effectively both orally
and in writing.-- Strong work ethic is required. Required Software
Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions: Proficiency in
using listed technologies, software applications, and cloud
services is essential for adequate performance in the assigned job
duties.-- Advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
associated with hardware, software, services, and systems are
expected.-- Training and/or Education: Bachelor---s degree in
Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information
Systems or a related field. Certifications and applicable job
experience may be counted in lieu of education requirement.--
Required Experience: Over 10 years of network management and
administration experience with progressively escalating
responsibilities, with at least 5 years of network systems project
implementation experience. --Knowledge of networking protocols and
technologies; in depth knowledge of the TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP; IP
addressing; LAN management; VLAN administration; Wi-Fi management
in the enterprise setting; WAN implementation; routing (OSPF and
BGP); site-to-site and endpoint VPN;-- network support in a Windows
environment utilizing Cisco (or equivalent) network components.
Proven experience managing Palo Alto (or equivalent) next
generation firewalls. Networking support for virtualization
environments; Microsoft Azure and Amazon EC2 networking. Experience
working in environments that utilized Change Management and other
ITIL concepts is a plus. Licenses or Certificates:-- Virginia
Driver---s License Special Requirements:
- This position is classified as essential personnel.
- Must be able to pass federal government background screening
process for local military installation access FLSA Status: Exempt
Physical Demands: Work requires high-speed operation of keyboard
devices.-- Also requires lifting and transferring of computer
equipment as needed.-- The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.--
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.-- Unusual Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job.-- Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.-- Work involves meeting multiple demands on a
timely basis.-- Duties may require some seasonal overtime.
Keywords: Hampton Roads Transit, Norfolk , Sr. Network Engineer, Engineering , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!