Bus Training Instructor
Company: Hampton Roads Transit
Posted on: September 15, 2018
Position: Bus Training Instructor Department: Transit Operations/Training Reports To: Manager of Training Salary: DOQ Assists Manager of Training with training all employees in defensive driving techniques, passenger relations, customer service and emergency and accident procedures. Essential Job Functions:(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Prepares and conducts classroom instruction on rules, regulations, fare structures, schedules, routes, and passenger relations.
- Conducts retraining and other special classes.
- May provide on-the-road driving instruction for buses, trolleys and vans.
- May conduct defensive driving classes for all newly hired safety sensitive employees.
- Conducts passenger assistance training.
- Assists with recruitment duties and tests operator applicants.
- Explains and demonstrates proper vehicle operation.
- Explains rules, regulations, policies, and procedures related to operations using visual aids and other instructional techniques and methods.
- Explains and shows employees routes.
- Tests and evaluates employees' understanding of operations, routes and rules, regulations, procedures and policies.
- Recommends when and if a trainee should be employed as an operator.
- Assists with reviewing, evaluating and recommending use of new and modified training materials.
- Recommends new training methods and modifications to existing programs to reflect changes in equipment and/or policies and regulations.
- Schedules, develops and assist with training programs.
- Completes forms and reports required for the hiring of new operators.
- Enters trainee's daily activities and payroll data into the PeopleSoft system.
- Maintains computer and written records of all training.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT's EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions: Knowledge of fleet training principles and practices. Knowledge of operational and mechanical aspects of fleet equipment. Knowledge of federal, state, and local statutes, codes and standards and of the policies and procedures that relate to bus, trolley and van operation. Knowledge of fare structures, schedules, routes and transfer policies. Preferred knowledge of the operation of instructional equipment such as movie and overhead projectors. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to plan and make oral presentations. Ability to operate or learn to operate buses, trolleys and vans. Ability to establish working relationships within department, company, and outside contacts. Ability to develop and maintain training schedules. Ability to review and evaluate the work of others. Ability to prepare records and reports. Must possess classroom presence and knowledge of basic training skills and techniques. Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions: Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated. Software applications: Email, Internet, PeopleSoft HCM & Finance, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, HASTUS Training and/or Education: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate, supplemented by courses in education, training or related field. Required Experience: Two years of experience in operating a public transit vehicle supplemented by two years of experience in training and/or supervision, or equivalent experience in the education and training field. Licenses or Certificates: Must have CDL Class B license and/or CDL permit and the ability to acquire within sixty (60) days of employment a valid Virginia CDL Class B license with air brake and passenger endorsements. Special Requirements:
- Ability to pass DOT physical examination.
- Must be able to pass federal government background screening process for local military installation access
- This position is classified as essential personnel. FLSA Status: Exempt Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work involves operating or supervising the operation of buses, trolleys and vans and their equipment. Unusual Demands: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis. Duties may require some seasonal overtime. Occasional night and weekend work required.
Keywords: Hampton Roads Transit, Norfolk , Bus Training Instructor, Education / Teaching , Norfolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!